The retail sector globally is experiencing a period of profound transformation. Consumer spending is growing slowly, and the big successes of eCommerce are prompting retailers all over the world to question the future of the store, and to wonder about what motivates consumers to visit stores. Experimentation seems to be the preferred development direction. Retailers are experimenting with giving stores new functions, adding technology wisely and integrating stores with digital channels. In Italy, investment by retailers in digital technology is still somewhat limited: the fragmentation of the retail network is slowing down the transformation process. Nevertheless, there is growing awareness of the opportunities offered by digital technology and by integrating the store with eCommerce. This report shows the innovation trends in Retail globally and looks in more detail at the main development areas of Italian retailers.
• How is consumer spending evolving in the more mature markets?
• What are the innovation directions of the main international retailers?
• How much do Italian retailers invest in digital innovation? What are the main investment areas?
• How do Italian retailers integrate the various sales channels?
• How can we measure the performance of a physical store in terms of transactions, relations, and omnichannel?
• How can digital innovation enable new meanings for customer experience in store?
The evolution of Retail around the world
The digital and omnichannel maturity of Italian retailers
The store of the future in Italy
Innovation of meaning in Retail: from omni-channel to omni-experience