You have not consented to the processing of your personal information by one of the Observatory. If you proceed we will no longer be able to invite you to our Workshops
- February 10, 2017
- Digital Innovation in Tourism
- Italian English
- Market Insight
- What Digital Tourist Journey activities are most impacted by digital technology?
- When, in the various travel phases, do Digital Tourists use Smartphones?
- What (online and offline) instruments and contents influence the travel idea inspiration?
- How much time before departure does the search for information start and are tourist services booked?
- How is information for the journey searched?
- Through which channels are the various tourist services booked?
- What apps are used while travelling?
- How many Digital Tourists share the travel experience and write reviews? When does it happen?
The study reports the findings of a detailed research on Digital Tourists, conducted in collaboration with Doxa, on a significant sample representing the Italian Internet population. The results indicate that Italian Digital Tourists are particularly active on the Internet throughout all macro-phases of the journey: before travel about 88% searches for information and 82% books or purchases services (accommodation, means of transport, activity at destination); while travelling, 44% purchases activities on the Internet, and 86% uses Apps supporting the travel experience; upon conclusion of the holiday 61% performs digital activities such as writing reviews. In addition to providing a snapshot of Italian tourists’ digital experience and enabling to understand which channels and digital instruments are most used, the research allows supply chain players to identify potential markets to be tackled with the introduction of digital technologies.
- The Digital Tourist Journey
- Inspiration and research
- Activities performed while travelling
- Sharing and reviewing the experience and other post-journey activities
- Methodology notes: the sample and the questionnaire