You have not consented to the processing of your personal information by one of the Observatory. If you proceed we will no longer be able to invite you to our Workshops
- February 12, 2016
- eCommerce B2c
- Italian English
- Market Insight
- What are the figures relating to e-commerce in the major international markets?
- How is Italy positioned compared with the major international e commerce markets?
- Which are the most developed product sectors in the major international online markets?
- What are the main differences in supply terms between the Italian market and the major overseas markets?
- What are the main areas of innovation found overseas?
One group of countries where e-commerce is undoubtedly more mature (South Korea, Japan, UK and USA) shows penetration rates of between 13% and 17% of total retail purchases, roughly four times more than Italy, and growth rates of between 10% and 15% compared with 2014, marginally lower than Italy. By contrast, emerging markets (Brazil, India and Russia), display e-commerce penetration rates ranging from 0.5% in India to 2% in Russia. The content of the typical online basket can indicate a sector’s maturity. Our analysis shows that in almost all major international markets, goods outweigh services in total e-commerce sales, whereas in Italy and Spain, services still figure strongly. The report analyses the major international markets, dividing them into two main groups: on one hand, the major European markets (UK, France, Germany and Spain), USA, and major Far Eastern markets (China, South Korea and Japan); on the other, the emerging markets (Brazil, Russia and India). For each of these markets, the report provides the total value of purchases, B2C e-commerce penetration rate, typical basket, supply-side characteristics and principal trends, and compares these with the Italian market.
- International comparison of the B2C e-commerce market
- International comparison of the B2C e-commerce basket
- International comparison of the B2C e-commerce supply side
- Areas of innovation in B2C e-commerce internationally