Gruppo di Lavoro
Alessandro Perego - Scientific Officer firstname.lastname@example.org
Giuseppe Sala - Scientific Officer email@example.com
Paolo Trucco - Scientific Officer firstname.lastname@example.org
Franco Bernelli Zazzera - Scientific Officer email@example.com
Antonio Ghezzi - Research Director firstname.lastname@example.org
Angelo Cavallo - Research Director email@example.com
The Space Economy Observatory aims to be a stable point of reference at national level in the study of the technological opportunities and related business impact of Space Economy, with the goal of accelerating cross-sector innovation processes combining the most advanced space and digital technologies to develop a broad portfolio of services. The use of space technologies and of the data they collect, combined with the most advanced enabling digital technologies is generating a multitude of business opportunities that include the development of new products and services all the way to the creation of new business models, and the reconfiguration of value networks and relationships between companies. If well leveraged such technology and business opportunities can contribute to the creation of tangible and intangible value, through new forms and sources of revenue, operating efficiency and the start of new projects leading to multidimensional (e.g. society, environment) positive impact. The Space Economy Observatory, an independent research entity, aims to promote the embodiment of such opportunities, taking on the role of technical-scientific advisor and enabler of valuable relationships between all players of the Space Economy ecosystem, which include: (i) Space Industry companies engaged in research, development and implementation of enabling space infrastructure (“upstream”); (ii) companies providing Digital Innovation solutions and services (e.g. IT providers, system integrators, consulting companies), and centers specialized in research, development, and deployment of the most advanced digital technologies (“midstream”); (iii) demand side companies interested in new applications and services resulting from the combined use of space and digital technologies (“downstream”); and (iv) policy makers, entities and national and international institutions that govern and regulate the Space Economy field.
The activities planned by the Observatory for the 2020 edition are:
- Develop of an empirical research involving the main players of the Italian scene through direct interviews, case studies, focus groups and surveys;
- Organize meetings to share and compare ideas and experiences with the community.
- Preliminary meeting with Observatory supporters, to establish Research directions.
- Two workshops dedicated to Partners and Sponsors, focused respectively on:
- Discussing how the convergence of space and digital technologies can lead to concrete applications and virtuous collaborations between upstream and downstream players, with specific focus on opportunities provided by startups;
- Provide an overview of currently available space technologies and their impact on the value chain and today’s business models, as well as a strong focus on the evolution of technology expected in the near future.
- Annual public conference to present Research results, through round tables and speeches from the leading figures of the national and international, and the upstream and downstream scenarios.
- Publish an annual Report with results of the 2020 Research to hand out at the Conference.
- Publish online content examining the main themes of the 2020 Research in greater depth.
Research will be centered on:
- Mapping the Space Economy ecosystem in Italy aiming to identify the main players and how they are connected;
- Estimating the Italian Space Economy market, enabling international comparisons;
- Identifying main business services and applications of space technologies at national and international level, establishing their level of maturity and attractiveness.
- Identifying technology trends and related potential;
- Analysis of private funding opportunities for the Space Economy.
For more information on the possibility of collaborating with and supporting Space Economy Observatory Research please contact Angelo Cavallo (firstname.lastname@example.org).