Start-up Intelligence is an innovative research project addressed to Innovation Managers that proposes a rich annual calendar of research, scouting, awareness-raising, and cultural comparison activities with the direct involvement of member organizations. In the past five years the project aggregated and trained Innovation Managers from over 70 large Italian companies with a rich program of activities to come closer to Open Innovation and the startup ecosystem, and to promote entrepreneurial culture within the organization.
The Startup Intelligence project was awarded the “Research Impact Prize 2017”, assigned by the School of Management of the Politecnico di Milano, to acknowledge and celebrate the School’s excellent Research and Project results in terms of impact on management practices, the academic community, policies, and society in general.
The award was assigned by the School of Management of the Politecnico di Milano’s International Advisory Board
Start-up Intelligence is an innovative research project addressed to Innovation Managers and everyone working on innovation within the company. It promotes an annual calendar of research, scouting, awareness-raising, and cultural comparison activities on open innovation and innovation culture themes with the direct involvement of member organizations. In the past five years the project aggregated and trained Innovation Managers from over 70 large Italian companies with a rich program of activities to come closer to Open Innovation and the startup ecosystem, and to promote entrepreneurial culture within the organization.
Activities planned by Startup Intelligence are:
- Research: Six research cycles concerning six specific fields of enquiry chosen each year. Each study is developed by specialized Digital Innovation Observatory Researchers (34 active Observatories), leveraging their long-term specific expertise to identify and analyse the most interesting startups in each (specific) field. For every defined research field (six per edition), the process consists of carrying out a survey, mapping and analysis of start-ups founded over the past five years in Italy and internationally, financed in the past 2 years, and then closely examining the most significant start-ups, preparing for each a detailed data sheet, as well as producing a detailed database and an analysis booklet. In addition, for each census a detailed Database, an analysis booklet and infographic summary are produced. Over 12,000 startups have been surveyed in the first 5 years. Every research cycle (six per edition) ends with a Pitch Workshop on innovation opportunities analysed, and presentation of some keynotes of startups startup (approximately ten at each meeting) chosen with the partner. The partners are actively involved in pre and post-Workshop phases through moments of confrontation with Researchers. Thirty or more researchers are involved in each edition.
- Scouting: in the first four editions over 600 in-depth assessments of really important Italian and International startups have been completed, together with meetings with more than 170 startups at 24 workshops, after previously having been in direct discussion with our researchers. Support is provided to Partner companies in organizing one2one meetings with startups of interest so that our researchers can explain and discuss the material covered on a regular basis. Alongside the six defined research cycles, we issue a weekly newsletter containing all the most interesting news items concerning Italian and international start-ups and on Open Innovation, to provide greater knowledge and ongoing information on the opportunities offered in this sector and about the most promising organisations operating within the sector.
- Informing: the project also includes annual advanced training events (four workshops in the 2019-2020 edition) covering the typical processes relating to Open Innovation and the relationship between companies and start-ups in order to share best practices through the participation of professors from the Politecnico and other Universities, experts, guest speaker presentations and direct experience sharing between partners, open discussions, and experience sharing round tables.
- Collaboration and Discussion Round Tables: 3 discussion round tables have been introduced in the past edition, focused on Cultural Transformation, Operating Models, and Working with Startups. For the occasion 3 Round Table Takeaway booklets have been produced. In this edition collaboration round tables will be developed driven by partners on the hottest topics in their agenda.
- Community: Startup Intelligence is the first and broadest Innovation Manager community in Italy coming together each month to discuss and debate on Open Innovation most relevant themes, with the goal of sharing experiences, projects, successes, difficulties. A dedicated community manager will assist the community through work groups, a social platform specific to the project, team building sessions and other tools used to animate the community. In the past edition the Team Building activity consisted in a two-day tour at the Gruppo Loccioni Research centers, in the Marche region, a significant example of Open Company in Italy.The fourth edition of the project registered a total of 208 individual participants from Partner companies.
- Visibility: the project helps to promote the visibility of partner organisations undertaking their process of cultural transformation towards open innovation, with positive implications for their brand awareness and attractiveness, with the additional intention to liven and stimulate Italy’s entrepreneurial ecosystem. Visibility is supported by participating at collaboration and confrontation discussions, round tables, Workshops and Digital Innovation Observatory Conferences, as guest speakers at Mip Politecnico di Milano classes, as well as through collaborations with newspapers and press outlets (Sole24Ore, Economyup, Startupbusiness, Digital4Exceutives…), which regularly publish material agreed with us that relate to our partners’ initiatives and projects.
- Conference: furthermore, an open Conference is held every year addressed to everyone who “deals with” innovation, to which Partners participate at round tables as spokespersons. The event will be organized jointly by the Startup Hi-tech Observatory and the Digital Transformation Academy Observatory. Last year 33 speakers and an audience of over 350 people attended the Conference.
At its fifth edition, Startup Intelligence has made it possible to census and analyse nearly 7,900 Italian and International startups and to meet with over 170 of them, with the involvement of 50 of the leading Italian companies and a few PS entities, the publishing of 24 Research Reports and 9 Takeaway Booklets.
The Startup Intelligence project has the following objectives:
- Intercept trends, scenarios and innovative projects in advance (Research).
- Discover new innovative suppliers and partners for business (Scouting).
- Promote sharing and comparing views between managers dealing with innovation (Community).
- Contribute towards a greater internal entrepreneurial culture (Informing).
- Bring visibility to companies engaged in open innovation (Visibility)
Research and scouting fields for the sixth edition are:
- Innovative Payments
- Industry 4.0 augmented reality
- Robot process automation
- Smart Mobility & Smart Car
- Social business
- Sustainability and Circular economy
In depth analysis activities regard:
- Experience Sharing “Fail&Learn"
- Innovation Storytelling
- Innovation operating model
- Ideathon Politecnico di Milano students/li>
The following environments have been examined in previous editions:
- Big Data Analytics
- Mobile Enterprise
- Mobile Consumer
- Internet of things
- Environmental sensing
- Social Network
- Energy efficiency
- Digital/Mobile Payment
- Lean startup approach
- Startup and procurement
- Corporate entrepreneurship & Open innovation
- Evaluate and recruit startups (Mentor kit)
- Smart Home&Building
- Open Innovation organizational models, tools and processes
- Artificial Intelligence
- New business models
- Smart Working
- User/Customer Experience
- Big Data
- Smart Energy
- B2b eCommerce
- Industry 4.0
- Peer2Peer Economy
- Machine Learning
- Design Thinking
- Innovation project portfolio management
- Corporate entrepreneurship
- Internet of Things with Smart City focus
- Logistics 4.0
- CRM Data collection and insight and Marketing Automation
- Digital Workplace
- Data Science &Analytics
- Experience Sharing
- Agile Approach
- Innovation Performance Management
Partners and Sponsors
For further information, collaboration and support requests for the other Startup Intelligence Observatory Research, please contact Alessandra Luksch (email: email@example.com) or Eliana Bentivegna (email: firstname.lastname@example.org) or Filippo Frangi (email: email@example.com).