The Digital Innovation in Heritage & Culture Observatory is formed with the aim of supporting the digital innovation adoption process within cultural institutions and as a place where different players of the cultural ecosystem can meet. The Observatory aims at becoming for the Italian cultural ecosystem a place to:
- Provide a systemic view of digital innovation applied to the processes of conservation, enhancement, management, promotion, marketing and use of heritage, products and services in the art and culture market, to facilitate the upgrading of the cultural ecosystem;
- Monitor digital trends in this sector;
- Facilitate the alignment between innovation demand and offer through round tables on specific themes;
- Raise awareness of players and decision makers toward sustainable digital transformation.
In 2019-2020, in keeping with previous Editions, the Observatory aims to confirm its position as a reliable source of information on digital innovation in culture, continuing the data collection and analysis activity that helps to enhance the knowledge of the target market while providing a meeting and comparison ground for players of the cultural ecosystem.
The Observatory’s activities include:
- research aimed at analysing the adoption processes, usage and impact of digital technologies in the arts and cultural heritage sector, mainly in the museum sector, in museums and theatres in particular;
- interactive workshops to share and compare views on introducing and designing technology solutions relating to four case histories of cultural institutes selected within the Community;
- a wrap-up conference, open to the public, for presenting the research results;
- the drawing up of a final Report with the main results of the Research distributed both in paper and electronic form;
- electronically distributed Videos and Reports on Vertical Research focus points;
- stable presence in general and sector media and in public events to promote the dissemination of research results and stimulate change.
Research will cover four main areas:
- Analyse the state of adoption and dissemination of digital resources in cultural institutions to understand the current status and market trends;
- Benchmark analysis of the digital tools used by main Italian and international opera theatres for online marketing and communications;
- Web presence analysis (sites, social media etc.) of Italian cultural institutions and ability to involve users;
- Digital transformation case studies within cultural institutions, particularly focused on measuring the cultural value generated by usage processes and on the use of customer relationship management systems.