Mariano Corso - Scientific Officer firstname.lastname@example.org
Emanuele Lettieri - Scientific Officer email@example.com
Paolo Locatelli - Scientific Officer firstname.lastname@example.org
Cristina Masella - Scientific Officer email@example.com
Chiara Sgarbossa - Research Director firstname.lastname@example.org
The Observatory for Digital Innovation in Healthcare, now in its 12th year, was established with the objective of analysing and promoting the role of digital technology as a means for improving and advancing processes relating to healthcare. The Observatory intends to be a permanent point of reference for decision-makers - in particular Chief Information Officers, healthcare professionals and all other players and Institutions operating in the healthcare sector - so that they can exploit the potential of these innovative technologies.
The Observatory's planned actions for 2019-2020 are:
- Field research involving key people in Italian medical structures, regional government managers and companies under public authority control, general practitioners and specialist doctors.
- Five restricted access Workshops - attended every year so far by some 100 people representing advocacy Associations, Observatory Partners and Sponsors, regional ICT organizations and in-house companies, MDs, CIOs, and General Managers, Financial Managers, Healthcare and Social Healthcare Managers.
- One public convention to present the findings of our research, with round table sessions and talks given by the main players from the healthcare sector, with in-depth analyses of real situations of innovation. Our “Award for Digital Innovation in Healthcare” is presented at this convention.
Award for Digital Innovation in Healthcare
The Observatory’s “Award for Digital Innovation in Healthcare”, set up in collaboration with our sponsoring associations, was first presented in 2010 to create an opportunity to learn about outstanding projects and sharing their findings, in view of their ability to use modern technologies as a lever for innovation and improvement in the world of healthcare in Italy. Our purpose is to create a virtuous mechanism for sharing and rewarding best practice and excellence within Italian hospitals, as they often do not recognise the benefits of applying modern technology as a lever to improve their performance.
In 2017, the Observatory has also established a new category, that of “Impact”. This prize is for initiatives of excellence that have already won an award from the Observatory, to reward projects that, over the past five years, have engendered permanent innovation to the entire healthcare system, with substantial success in terms of both their impact and their outcomes.
Within the scope of our 2019-2020 research, the Observatory will:
- provide an estimate of expenditure on social-healthcare matters, highlighting the trends in place both at an overall level (Ministry, regional government, hospitals and GPs) and within the main fields of digital innovation;
- analyse the degree of maturity and how widespread “Connected Care” related digital technologies are in citizens’ health track, from prevention to treatment and follow-up (e.g. Internet of Things, Telemedicine, Artificial Intelligence, Digital Services to Citizens, etc.);
- closely examine the topics of governance and data valorisation in Healthcare;
- examine in depth the Value Based Healthcare topic;
- analyse the Digital Therapy topic, also through an analysis of startups at international level.
The Observatory’s research is based on an empirical analysis that, every year, involves over 200 players in surveys and study cases, including CIOs, general directors, administration directors, chief medical officers and social and welfare officers, alongside regional government officials, general practitioners and a statistically representative sample of the general public.
Partners and Sponsors
For further information, collaboration and support requests for the other researches of the Digital Innovation in Healthcare Observatory, please contact Chiara Sgarbossa (email: email@example.com).