The Cloud in the Public Sector Observatory was created to investigate the opportunities arising from digitalised processes, with Cloud Computing, in particular, being a factor for innovation within public authorities. One aim of the Observatory is to work alongside CIOs in the process of evolution affecting the management and development of ICT applications and infrastructure, which is a consequence of the diffusion of new models for the ICT offer. The Observatory will also act as a point of reference for developing a culture of innovation within the ICT offer, promoting interaction and the creation of a community involving institutions, public authorities and companies operating in the ICT offer field.
The Observatory’s work consists of:
- conducting an analysis on the current stage of digitalisation, looking especially at the extent to which Cloud Computing is adopted among public authorities in Europe;
- meeting and interviewing the main players in the Cloud market in Italy and the principle public bodies, to measure the use of the Cloud within the Italian public sector;
- preparing a number of study cases on companies that have implemented solutions in the field of Cloud & ICT as a Service, mapping a route for adopting the Cloud;
- writing a digital report containing the main results of the Observatory’s research;
- organising a convention to present the main findings of our research, with round table sessions and presentations given by major players from the institutional world and the ICT offer.
The Cloud in the Public Sector Observatory intends to:
- examine the positioning of Italian public authorities within the European landscape
- monitor the methods for streamlining assets relating to infrastructure and applications that are owned by local and central bodies within the public sector, looking in particular at what is set out in the digital agenda, with specific focus on the Italian landscape;
- identify and study the trends and approaches used by public authorities to introduce the Cloud, looking in particular at the workings of Regional government;
- identify existing best practice regarding Cloud use in central government at European level;
- help to define the priorities in terms of actions to promote change.
The research carried out by the Observatory is based upon the analysis and re-elaboration of secondary sources together with an empirical analysis, conducted through interviews and study cases that, each year, involves the designated people from local and central public authorities.
For further information, collaboration and support requests for the other researches of the Cloud in the Public Sector Observatory, please contact Alessandro Piva (email: firstname.lastname@example.org).