The Digital Insurance Observatory exists to make a significant and permanent contribution to the insurance ecosystem (companies, intermediaries, aggregators, financial operators, producers of technological solutions, start-ups, etc.) by analysing and understanding the impact of digital innovation on the sector, and through spreading within the industry excellent practices and the digital culture that has become essential to the sector’s growth in recent years. The Digital Insurance Observatory is aimed at insurance companies, the commercial intermediary channel (agents, brokers, etc.), IT solutions providers, financial institutions equipped for the production and distribution of insurance products, and for the world of start-ups that are developing applications for the insurance sector.
Planned activities for the Observatory’s 2016 edition are as follows:
- a “kick-off” meeting, designed to present and share our research aims and form a community;
- two invitation-only focus groups with the participation of institutions, experts in the sector, Observatory partners and figures from the world of start-ups, to perform a SWOT analysis of the three analytical strands, highlighting current and prospective trends and actions to support digital development in the sector. The focus groups will aim to encourage a constructive dialogue within the community, which will later form the basis of a published booklet;
- an alignment workshop on the work in progress, restricted to the Observatory’s partners and sponsors;
- two premium workshops dealing, through the involvement of experts in the sector, with topics of interest to the world of insurance – for example: the sharing economy, drones, 3D printing, social media, etc. – from a legal perspective;
- a public wrap-up event to present the results of the Observatory’s research, including a round table discussion to comment on the research itself, discuss trends in the sector, and present the case histories of several outstanding start-ups;
- publication of the final reports containing the main results of the research.
For its research, the Observatory intends to analyse development trends in three analytical strands:
- internal: examining how digital innovation can contribute to increasing the efficiency of work processes in insurance companies;
- channel: examining how to use technology to improve the bidirectional flow of information, to prevent leaks and above all increase mutual effectiveness;
- market: examining how new technologies can help to satisfy new needs and tap new market segments.
In particular, the Observatory intends to:
- reconstruct the insurance sector’s supply chain, mapping the relationships that distinguish it and the technologies that nowadays depend on those relationships, highlighting current trends and developments;
- quantify the spread of the main digital technologies in the insurance sector, in each of the strands under consideration (internal, channel, market);
- analyse actual international cases to identify any gaps in the adoption of digital innovation;
- analyse the phenomenon of start-ups linked to the insurance sector (IT services and solutions), evaluating their reach and fields of application;
- analyse and model the benefits (economic included) derived from the use of certain specific digital technologies in the main insurance fields (business intelligence & big data analytics, cloud computing, IoT, mobile strategy, etc.).
For further information, collaboration and support requests for the other researches of the Digital Insurance Observatory please contact Claudio Rorato (email: email@example.com).